Since I had been having high blood pressure for a few weeks, my doc decided to induce me on Friday, November 10th. I was also 3 days past due.
They started me on Pitocin (VERY low dose) at about noon. The doc came in and broke my water at 1:05. I was dilated to 3. My contractions were going well, between 3 and 5 minutes apart. At 2:45 I asked for an epidural. The contractions were getting unbearable. The anesthesiologist didn't show up until 3:25, at which point the contractions were out of control. They gave me the epidural, and said that I should start feeling some relief within a few contractions. After about 10 more contractions, I still was not having any relief.
The anesthesiologist was talking about the fact that the epidural hadn't taken, and the doc came in and was talking about the fact that the baby wasn't handling the labor very well. Because my contractions were SO overwhelming, I was kind of in a haze, so I didn't really understand what he was saying about the baby not taking the labor well. Now, thinking back, I remember him saying that if it didn't improve we would have to discuss other options. My Mom asked him what he meant by that, and he said we would discuss those options later, if needed. He didn't want me to get worried.
They turned off the Pitocin because I didn't need the extra force in the contractions at that point. Then, they decided to get me a shot to completely stop the contractions for me and the baby. During the hour break from contractions, they completely removed my epidural, and gave me another one. Like one needle in your spine isn't enough! Actually, that was the easiest part, and I was happy to have the second one inserted while I wasn't having contractions!
At 5:20 Jeff went down to the cafeteria to grab dinner since there wasn't much going on. At 5:40 they decided to slowly start my Pitocin again (only on level 1) to get things going. I only felt 2 or 3 contractions, and immediately my doctor and a couple of nurses I hadn't seen before came running in the room. The doctor told me that the baby was not doing well, they would watch it for a couple of contractions, and we may need to discuss other options. Jeff was still not back from dinner. They watched one more contraction, and the baby's heartrate fell to 80, and they said that they were going to get the baby out.
My doctor was GREAT! I started crying, and he got down right by my face and said, "This isn't because of anything you have done wrong. We had a very valid reason for inducing you today. You are past due, and have had blood pressure problems. I don't want you to feel like you could have done anything to prevent this. We are going to see your baby very soon. Your baby is going to go on to ride a bike, go to first grade, and go to college someday. If we don't do this, there is a chance your baby may never do any of those things." That was EXACTLY what I needed. That was his way of telling me how serious the situation was without coming out and saying that the baby's life was at risk.
In the mean time, I just kept asking for Jeff. My sisters went to find him, but he was in another room off of the cafeteria they didn't know about. They were wheeling me out of my room and he saw me in the hallway. He was freaked out because he had no idea what was going on. Then the poor guy got his suit for surgery, and they stuck him in the hallway outside the OR by himself with no explanation. I guess he got nauseous because I saw someone bring a plastic bin out for him. Finally my doctor went out and had a good talk with him to get him calmed down.
They still were having problems getting me numbed. Most of my abdomen still had feeling, so they gave me a huge dose of anesthesia. It ended up numbing me to the ends of my fingers, and even making it hard for me to talk...but I wasn't feeling a thing!
Jeff came in and they had Cailyn out within a couple of minutes. When the doctor was reaching in for her, he announced "there is one cord, two cords wrapped around her neck!" They untangled her, and after a little scary silent time she let out a great cry. My doctor sang "Happy Birthday" to her when she was born.
She is doing great, and big sister Camryn is doing way better than expected. She loves her little sister like crazy! I have 18 staples across my abdomen, and am very sore, but am getting better every day. I never thought I would have a C-section, but am very happy for my doctor's quick actions.
Cailyn Teresa
11/10/06
6:20pm
8 lb. 3 oz. (2 lb. bigger than Camryn!)
For 3 days after the C-Section, my body didn't release any fluids. I was being pumped full of IVs, and was VERY swollen. They were worried that my kidneys may be failing. They watched me pretty closely. It ended up being fine, but took awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment