Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Another Cailyn injury

This one was my fault. I feel so bad. It happened Monday night. I got out of the car, opened the back door for the girls to climb out, and went back into the front seat to get some stuff out of my car. I just swung the front door closed without looking. After I let go of it, I looked and saw that Cailyn has stuck her head between the back door and the frame of the car. I could see that my car door was going to hit her, and I couldn't stop it. It was awful! It hit her pretty hard. The door hit her on one side, and pushed her head against the car on the other side.

She cried for a few minutes, but then seemed fine. I watched her for the evening, and she was acting completely normal. I asked her if she had owies, and she said that her ear hurt. I gave her Ibuprofen, and she didn't complain about any pain the rest of the night. I wondered if I should take her to the doctor, but she didn't seem to have any problems.

Yesterday she woke up from her nap at my sister's house, screaming uncontrollably, grabbing the side of her head. She was hysterical. My sister called me, and I couldn't even hear her because Cailyn was crying so hard. She said she was getting worse by the minute. I went out and picked her up and took her to the doctor. She refused food or medicine. She finally agreed to have some juice. On the way to the doctor, she started puking a ton. She puked constantly for about 2 minutes. (My car REEKED!)

I took her into the doctor, and they asked me how she was. I told them she had vomitted, and they rushed her into a room. I heard the receptionist say to the doctor "this child has a head injury and is vomitting." I felt like I had been punched in the stomach. I felt so bad for not bringing her in sooner.

Cailyn normally loves the doctor, but she freaked out whenever the doctor would touch her this time. She definitely wasn't acting like herself. She reached out a few inches in front of her face and said "what's this?" and I asked her what she was talking about, and she said "this thing on my teeth." I think she was seeing things, or feeling things that weren't really there. She also kept looking like she was chewing on something, but there was nothing in her mouth. I asked her what she was chewing on and she said "blue candy". She told me that her eye hurt.

The doctor did a complete exam. Her pupils dilate normally. Her feet reflexes were good, but her knees had no reflexes (which apparently is better than too big of a reflex). Her jaw feels normal, and everything in her mouth seemed fine. She has no bruising or swelling anywhere on her head. She has no blood in her ears, but did have an ear infection in the opposite ear that she was complaining of. They had to bring in 2 extra nurses to help restrain her she was so out of control.

The doctor asked me if she talks much, and I said yes. She asked if she would know her name and age if she asked, and I said "yes, but sometimes she says she is Dinah, and that she is 4." The doctor asked her what her name was. She wouldn't answer. I asked her. She wouldn't answer. I said "what does mommy call you?" She said, in the weakest little squeaky voice, "babycakes".

We left with a prescription for Amoxicillin, and detail on what to look for. We are supposed to wake her 2 or 3 times a night and ask her name and age. When I did that last night, she said "Dinah, 4" every time. I guess that is acceptable. If she vomits anymore, we are supposed to take her in for a CTscan. It is hard to tell if the vomitting was from crying so hard, or if it was some bug she had that is involved with her runny nose, fever, ear infection, or if it was because of the head trauma.

My poor babycakes! I feel awful!

No comments:

Post a Comment