Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Twas the night before school

Camryn started 5th grade today, and Cailyn started 2nd. They picked out their clothes yesterday, and last night we went to our traditional "Night before school starts hibachi dinner." When we got home they packed their lunches, and headed to bed. Due to dinner taking longer than expected, they didn't get to bed until about 9:15. Cailyn told me she was a little nervous about the first day. We let them read or watch videos on their Kindles for awhile, then told them it was time to go to sleep. Around 10:00, and every 15 minutes or so after that, they would tell us they couldn't go to sleep. Around 11:00 they said it was like the night before their birthday - they were too excited to sleep. At 11:45 Cailyn came into our room, and said she couldn't sleep. I let her crawl into bed with me, hoping she would finally get to sleep. About 3 minutes later she said, "I'm going to try my own bed." At 12:11, I heard Cailyn whimper to Camryn, "It is morning...we have to sleep!" I grabbed my pillows and a blanket and went in to sleep with them in their room. When I walked in, I found they had taken the pillows and blankets off their beds, and made a bed on the floor where they could lay together. They were cuddled up together, watching a video on Cam's Kindle, trying to relax enough to sleep. It really was pretty adorable. They fight more often than they get along, so this was a pretty sweet moment for them. I crawled onto Cailyn's bed, had them shut the Kindle off, and we all went to sleep. This morning went great. I'm hoping bedtime gets a little easier in the coming nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment